Saturday, October 27, 2012

My first pair of ankle boots - homemade! (kind of)



My poor boots!


My lovely Born boots got eaten by a sweet dog that couldn't help herself. Apparently they tasted as good as they looked. 

All I could do was laugh (and replace them with an impressive pair of Fryes). 

Then it occurred to me that I could have them cut down into ankle boots! Then it occurred to me that I could do that work myself!

First thing was to make sure my sewing machine could handle the job. A couple test pieces through the machine made me love my sturdy 1960s White all the more. 


Then it was a matter of figuring out what to do with the zippers, namely keeping the pull from flying off into space once I cut them down. 

A little bit of fiddling and I discovered the metal pieces doing the job currently could be pried open and repositioned. 

So far so good!  



After that a few straight cuts wth sharp scissors, a bit of measuring to make sure the two boots were even, and a straight stitch run along the top edge in a dark thread similar to that used on the rest of the boot. 


Ta Da!
Now I have a great pair of ankle boots which I think we can all agree are very similar to actual Born ankle boots one might purchase... would I have purchased them? Probably not. But for less than an hour of work I am glad to have them. Plus, did I mention the awesome Fryes I got? (They are red! So many wins!)




No comments:

Post a Comment